Monday, February 9, 2015

Falling Out of Love

Image Credit: Helga Weber via Flickr CC
Hi there! Today, I decided to write something a bit more personal and share a ramble with you all. While February is essentially the month of love whether you like it or not with all the stores trying to sell you all the lovey-dovey stuff, but another important thing that should isn’t often discussed is falling out of love.

I’ve never had to endure the heartache of having to experience it with (or rather because of) another person, but I’ve had the stress of having to do it with an idea, a dream that I was very blindly chasing. As you may or may not know, ever since I was about 12 or so, I knew that I wanted to work in the fashion industry. I wanted to be a fashion designer, show at Fashion Week, and do all of that – that was the ultimate dream. The problem with setting your mind on something at 12 is that regardless of your ability to execute said-goals, you tend to romanticise it all.

I can’t tell you how many times people told me that it was going to be hard, that the hours were going to be long, that the pay wasn’t going to make the time and effort worth it. They’d tell me that I wasn’t going to be able to raise a family and all that other discouraging stuff. While I think it’s good to stick to your aspirations and work hard at it, it’s also a good idea to take some of the things other people say into consideration, even if it’s to throw the advice back out the window.

At 12 and until very recently, I kind of just ignored what they said, I guess. I was defensive about it, and after a while, I somehow just fell a bit out of love with the idea of becoming that famous fashion designer and all that.

If you know me in real life, maybe this will come as a shock to you, but by that, I do not in any way mean that I’m not longer interested in fashion or whatever – I’m just a heck of a lot more open to new ideas. It’s as if there’s a certain romance to not quite knowing exactly what’s going to happen.

Now, I’m thinking about how a being a stylist and working the shoots, or maybe a product developer, that kind of thing.

Basically, where my little story and falling in love with an actual person draw its parallels is that in the end, please remember that it’ll be okay. There’s beauty in the unknown and whether it’s a person or a dream or an idea, don’t be too scared of falling out of love for it that you hold onto someone or something that no longer should be a part of your life.

So yeah, I think that’s it. I’m not quite sure what motivated me to write this post other than how Valentine’s Day’s around the corner and I wanted to go a bit against the grain when it came to a love-related post. However, that desire will be refuted on Wednesday with a post that will hopefully inject some inspiration into your brain for your Valentine’s Day festivities.

This was a bit more of a personal one and a short one, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless!

Share your thoughts and leave a comment below! x


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


No comments:

Post a Comment