Saturday, January 25, 2014

Countdown to Confidence: 6 Ways to Fake it 'til You Make it

...
Image Credit: We Heart It
Hi there! Two weeks ago, I posted the first ever Countdown to Confidence posts and got such an amazing response from all of you. It just made me so happy to know that you were all as excited about the new series and hearing some of your stories just made me so, so happy.

Today, I have the next installment in the series all about just faking that confidence until you get it. I’m not trying to say that you should be fake and all that, I’m just sharing a few tips on things you could do to make yourself feel more confident until you actually feel it yourself. So let’s get into it!

1. Stand up straight. My parents were always nagging at me for my poor posture because I used to slouch all the time. I initially thought it was just a bad habit, but I realised that it was because I didn’t feel confident enough to just stand up straight. It might sound like a silly tip, but make an effort to push your shoulders back, tilt your chin up, and just lift yourself up throughout the day. Just don’t slouch, it is not attractive and you won’t look confident.

2. Smile. Have you ever noticed how people always seem more confident if they smile? More often than not, a smile shows others that you’re happy with yourself and are more confident, so fake a smile to trick yourself into believing it and those around you will follow suit.

3. Make eye contact. This might seem like the scariest thing, but staring at your feet doesn’t exactly exude confidence. If you’re walking in the halls, look at the people who pass you. If that’s a bit too much to dive into, try looking at that spot between their eyes. This little trick is especially helpful to boost your confidence when you’re wearing something super daring.

4. Start a conversation. By this, I don’t mean go to any random dude and talk him up, but rather if you’re in a room full of people and no one’s talking, break the awkward silence. Or if you notice that someone looks lonely, go talk to them. Being friendly gives off the same effect as a simple smile.

5. Take risks. Of course, there’s a difference between this and being completely stupid, but do make it a daily goal to do something that scares you everyday. If raising your hand in class to answer a question scares the living crap out of you, do that. It’ll make you feel so much better afterwards, especially if it ends well.

6. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Just laugh at yourself every once in a while and don’t fuss over every little thing. If you think that thing you did with your hair was embarrassing, well, chances are, nobody actually noticed. Life’s too short to get worry lines at this age.


What are your tips for faking confidence until it becomes a part of you? Which one did you find the most helpful, or that you liked the best? Share your stories below and let me know if there’s anything else you’d like me to cover except for getting your skin better, being healthy, and dressing confidently!


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


No comments:

Post a Comment