Wednesday, July 9, 2014

3 Ways to Wear: The Classic Summer Dress


Hi there! We all have that "summer dress." You know, the one that's just effortless and comfortable and is just easy to throw on? Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. Since I wear mine so often, I figured that I wasn't the only one, so I came up with three ways to style it differently from super casual but with a twist to formal with the same H&M dress. Keep reading to see the looks!



This outfit is the most casual with the floral H&M dress worn with a cream crochet New Look fringe vest to add some texture without a super heavy layer. Heavy layering is something you do not want to do in the summer months if it's hot where you are. To add some definition to waist, I added a skinny cognac Daniel Friedman belt that can either be worn over the vest, or just the dress. For a fun little twist to the outfit, I picked out a flower hair accessory from ASOS that can be woven into your hair. I'd loosely braid my hair to the side and stick this in for an unexpected touch. Finally, for a quirky addition, I picked some metallic white Circus by Sam Edelman sandals that look so much better than its sportier alternatives from Adidas and Nike.


This next outfit is a bit more formal and good for when you're going out to eat with a friend or family, or just anywhere when you need to look a bit more put-together. I paired the H&M dress with a printed Topshop shirt and some printed Urban Outfitters plimsoll sneakers for a playful feel to the outfit. If you need to be more formal, obviously you can switch out the shoes for a heel or something like that. To add some definition at the waist, I added a thick Threadscence embossed belt. For accessories, I went for some ornate statement ASOS pearl earrings to add some light and class to the outfit and a Forever 21 suede woven bracelet. To finish it off, I went for a small structured ASOS buttercup satchel for a solid splash of colour.


Finally, for the last and most formal outfit, I paired the floral H&M dress with a soft pink New Look blazer. But to keep the look from looking too much like a work outfit (or maybe you'll use this formula for work, up to you!), I added some tall chunky white Nasty Gal platforms for some height and, well, fun. Keeping with the white accessories, I went for a white MissGuided envelope clutch and white Wallis chain necklace, as well as some dainty carved rose Forever 21 earrrings just to have something in your earlobes, but nothing too distracting.

Which outfit was your favourite? Do you have a "summer dress" that you wear all the time? How do you like to style it? Leave your comments below!


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


2 comments:

  1. Very useful tips! A dress can be dress in different ways. Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Margery! :) I figured that since I like to stay comfortable during the summer that I should probably figure out more than one way to wear a certain thing to remain comfortable. - J

      Delete