Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October's Big Five

Image Credit: Teo via Flickr
Hi there! Isn’t it great how it so happens to be the first day of the month that I’m posting this? I’m pretty proud of how that worked out. There are a million thoughts racing through my mind right now due to the excitement of the start of October and one of them is how the hell is it already October? Like, where the hell is 2014 going? I know I say that like every month and you might get sick of me hearing me say it, but come on, I can’t possibly be the only one whose mind is just a bit blown right now.

Let’s open our arms big and wide and welcome the season of spiced pumpkin and cozy sweaters and get into what you should be getting pumped for this month.


1. Gone Girl on the 3rd


I've seen the trailer on TV a couple times and despite the dark nature of the movie, I can't help but be drawn into the story. It's about this couple who on their fifth anniversary, the husband reports the wife missing

2. Blood of Olympus on the 7th

The Blood Of Olympus
Official Book Cover
I don’t know about you, but the Percy Jackson series was a pretty big thing when I was in third grade, so around 2008. At my school, it was mostly the boys who read it, but once I got to middle school, apparently the majority of all my classmates had read the five-book series and enjoyed it. With a newfound curiosity, I picked up The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan and then proceeded to whiz through the other four books as well as the spin-off (I think that’s what it’s called) series called Heroes of Olympus.

If you don’t already know, the Percy Jackson series is about this boy with the same name who’s a demigod, basically meaning that he has the blood of a regular human/mortal and the blood of a Greek god. The series just follows his adventures with other demigods and creatures, all based on Greek mythology. The spin-off introduces the Roman gods, but all in all, it’s just really good.

Those books marked a point in my childhood/teenage years (that I’m still living day-by-day, aha) and the last book is coming super soon. Silly as it sounds, especially compared to other people who have followed this whole series from the very first book when I jumped so late on the bandwagon, this last book is like ending a chapter in my life. Loads of good memories were attached to reading that series, especially in a class of a lot of bookworms who’d wait anxiously the week of the release to get their hands on a copy, whether it’s by heading straight to the bookstore after school or by waiting for their lucky friends to finish the 500-something page novel.

Funny how I just wrote 300 words dramatizing the release of a freaking book. Holy moly.

3. DIY: Vogue Magazine Costume on the 20th

Last year, I tried to get this DIY post up, I really did. I bought the foam board, sketched an outline, and even started painting it, but it just looked like complete crap. That in conjunction with the work I had to do in school made it so that post never see the light of day.

This year, however, I’ve come up with a new design that is 100x better than last year’s and I’m so freaking excited to share it with you guys. I’m crossing my fingers that I’ll be able to do it this year because it would suck to not be able to put up a post that I feel so passionately about.

4. 1989 on the 27th

Official Album Covers
!!! That basically represents my feelings right now whenever I think of the 27th and Taylor Swift and 1989. After waiting for two years, we’re finally getting new music from Taylor and I couldn’t be more ecstatic. I’ve loved her ever since 3rd grade when a friend (bless her soul) introduced me to her when she was country (admittedly with a pretty heavy dose of pop in recent years), so despite my love for her, I was bit worried about the announcement of her official transition to the dark side (aka pop music). Apparently they have cool guys like Max Martin and Shellback and she seems to like that, I guess.

However, this is Taylor Swift we’re talking about and I’m confident that she won’t disappoint. I’m most likely going to be headed straight to Target to pick up the deluxe copy after school on that Monday because I just won’t be able to wait. Also because Costco stopped being my trusty mainstream music provider by not selling any albums anymore.

5. Hallowe’en on the 31st

Image Credit: Kleran via Flickr
Hallowe’en for me is like a boy I’ve been crushing on year after year and continues to reject me and I don’t seem to be able to learn that he doesn’t like me. For as long I can remember, there’s always been some kind of cringe-worthy or embarrassing memory associated with Hallowe’en, especially costumes, every year, and last year was actually an improvement! Despite the disappointments from the past, I’m still excited for the 31st this year. Obviously, I’m not going trick-or-treating because that’s just weird and slightly obnoxious at 15 nor am I going to a party in hopes of getting drunk because I’m not into that stuff, so I’ll just be chilling at home handing out candy in my Vogue magazine costume for the little ones. It’ll be fun. :)

Which of the five are you most excited for? What other things are you stoked for this month? (How) do you celebrate Hallowe'en? Leave your stories in a comment below!


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


No comments:

Post a Comment