Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday Funday: Fun Times and Summer Nights

Hi there! I think that a good chunk of you are already back in school (if you are going back to school this year), but for me, I'm going back on September 3rd. I've always associated September with back to school and the real end of summer and a jolt back to reality. It's making me pretty sad and a little nostalgic that my summer is coming to an end, but I'm also really excited (and a smitch nervous) about going into high school. I thought this photo represented those emotions perfectly which is why I picked it. Obviously. :)

Clean Eating > Junk Food

Natural 21 inch Waist Girl Blog // Caring Parents  | via Tumblr
After a month of eating too much and unhealthy foods in Vietnam (because realistically, I'm not going to eat those things again in at least four years), I made a vow to myself that I would start to eat healthy, clean, and just get my health back in order. I've only been back for a week, but it seems like I'm on the right track.

I've been a huge fan of salads lately. My favourite that I don't really have a name for is mixing baby romaine lettuce with a bit of avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, a sprinkle of tuna, and my all-time favourite salad dressing: balsamic vinaigrette. I used to be a huge Caesar salad fan because that was the only salad that I knew. But now that I've been exposed to the lovely (and much healthier) balsamic vinaigrette, I'm in love.

I've also been avoiding gluten and dairy lately and my skin has gotten so much better. I know that some of you might not agree that cutting dairy out is a good idea, but so far, I've noticed that it has done wonders for my skin. Instead of downing three glasses of milk a day, I've replaced that with almond milk which tastes just as delicious. 

Lately, I haven't been craving sweets as much and I'm so happy about it. Thursday night, my mom brought home some homemade cupcakes from work (they also happened to be my one of my favourite recipe) and the old me would've been so excited to eat them. But that night, I controlled myself and only had a quarter of it, and get this. I didn't like it. It was the exact same recipe, but for some reason, I kind of lost that sweet tooth. 

And I couldn't be happier.

"Tell 'em that it's my birthday!"


My birthday was actually last week (you can read my blog post about it here), but I was in Vietnam at the time, so I obviously couldn't celebrate with my friends, just barely with my family. One of my best friends named Kailey actually has a birthday just five days before mine, so we agreed that we'd have a joined birthday party this weekend.

I haven't seen some of my friends in the longest time, and it was just so nice to just get together with them for one night and just talk and hang out.

We didn't have birthday candles and sparklers were actually the only things I had in my house. So we stuck fourteen in our ice cream cake and lit them all up. It was pretty magical.

I ditched the glasses, guys.

lc lauren conrad contact lens case {proceeds go toward the fight against breast cancer}


After two long years of begging and whining, I finally got contacts! I'm so, so happy about it because I've never really liked wearing glasses. I always thought that I looked a little too geeky with my glasses, braces, AND acne. I guess I'm going to miss that feeling on the bridge of my nose, but not really, let's be honest. I'm just so glad to not have to hide behind my glasses anymore.

Aren't these so freaking adorable?

Avengers MARVEL vintage studded high waist shorts by NUgeneration
(I want them, therefore I will DIY them.)

I was just browsing around We Heart It, looking for some artistic photos for my blog when I stumbled upon this photo of Avengers jean shorts. This might not be everyone's cup of tea, but quite frankly, I'm obsessed with them. You could get a similar pair on Etsy (here), but as a fellow DIY-er and painter, I added these to a list of stuff I need (aka want) to DIY, but I'll probably change them into jeans for the fall and wintertime. If I do end up DIY-ing them, I'll definitely post a tutorial for you all!

Home Sweet Home...

I don't think there's a truer saying in the world. Actually, scratch that. I'm sure there are, but for the sake of being poetic (ish), I'm going to say that it's the truest. 

After being away from home for over a month on vacation, I'm pretty glad to see the familiar pale pink walls of my bedroom again. And nothing beats having your bed back. And your clothes. 

As much fun as I had on my vacation, and as sad as I was to leave the bigger chunk of my family behind in Vietnam, I'm glad to be back in Canada. I missed the Tim Hortons (even though I pretty much never buy anything there) and the stoplights and the store signs written in English. Which is why there's nothing better than home. At least, I think so. What about you?


How has your summer been? Did you go on any vacations? Or did you just have some fun out and about in town? Let me know in a comment and share your thoughts! I'd love to read them.


Thank you so much for reading!
- J

2 comments: