Hi there! The other day, I was mourning the inevitable death of Gossip Girl, one of my favourite TV guilty pleasures of all time, so I decided to blog about it! Blair and Serena's styles are simply perfect and I'm absolutely obsessed with both of them. I'll definitely do "I Want Her Closet" and "Looks for Less" posts from both of them. You could probably tell from the title, but today, I'm starting off with Blair Waldorf. She's classy, smart, and absolutely hilarious. She's such a joy to watch and always manages to brighten my day.
I know that she isn't an actual real person like my other "I Want Her Closet" posts have featured, but I thought, what the heck, her closet is to-die-for, so nothing's stopping me!
As usual, I will be featuring a few outfits of hers that I absolutely adore and at the end, there will be a few tips and tricks on how to recreate Blair's impeccable style. Just a quick warning for you, this post is quite long, and I hope you don't mind. But then again, who would mind looking at gorgeous pictures of amazing fashion and Blair Waldorf?
Blair wore this ensemble in the premiere of season 4 when her, Serena, and Chuck were in Paris. Though I'm not a huge fan of her hair (I prefer it darker and curled), I'm obsessed with this outfit. It's a little different from what she usually wears, but that's what I like about it. It's just her and her best friend having the time of their lives in a foreign city, and it really shows through what she's wearing. It's also pretty amazing how she, well, technically he because it's Eric Daman, the genius costume designer that puts these outfits together, mixed the two cherry prints in such a beautiful way.
Also, can I just point out that her Chanel bag is one of the most unique and beautiful things ever? I have never seen a Chanel bag like that in my life and I'm so in love with it. Gorgeous.
And now... her beautiful green jackets. She wore the one on the left in season 2 right before Chuck Bass surprised her with gifts from Paris and pink peonies. That was one of my favourite scenes of all time from the whole series and you can relive it here. I just love the colour green on her complexion and with the yellow accents, these outfits are simply stunning.
Blair wore the green cape on the right in season 3. I love looking through old Gossip Girl photos because it really shows how much these characters have changed, especially through their style, and Blair is no different. You can tell, or at least I can, how she's grown up a bit and is becoming a little bit more mature. These two outfits are pretty similar with the yellow bag and shoes, yet so different at the same time, which is what makes them so interesting.
It's pretty rare seeing Blair in something other than skirts or dresses, so her wearing a pair or shorts is actually really surprising and it almost makes me giddy. Like, she's actually wearing shorts, SHORTS! Anyway, I'm pretty sure that this is something she wore while working at W Magazine in season 4 (please correct me if I'm wrong). Lately, I've been really into pearls or anything that resembles pearls, so naturally, I'm obsessed with her beautiful cardigan. The colours of her blouse go so well with her pink shorts and her mesh-like pantyhose ties everything together perfectly.
Blair has been seen in several wedding dresses in the last few seasons of Gossip Girl, so I thought it'd be appropriate to include a wedding section in this post. So here it goes...
This was the Vera Wang dress that Blair was originally going to wear to her wedding with Louis in the 100th episode of Gossip Girl, but due to some last minute changes, she didn't actually end up wearing it. Personally, this dress is my favourite out of the three, but it doesn't seem very Blair Waldorf to me, if you know what I mean.
Now here's the dress Blair actually ended up wearing. The skirt of the dress is so full, beautiful, and delicate and I love everything about this dress... except for that random bow. The bow definitely makes it very Blair, but I personally just don't care for it.
Doesn't she look so happy?
This was the Elie Saab dress that she wore to her impromptu wedding in the series finale of Gossip Girl. It's a beautiful mint dress with intricate embroidery up top and shows off just enough skin. To me, this was probably the dress that was the truest to Blair's personal style. It's pretty classic and the cut of the dress really reinforces the idea that Blair has changed and has grown up. In season 5, her wedding was more about fairytales, but in reality, relationships and weddings aren't fairytales, and I think that that's what she learned in season 6, hence a more... simple and refined dress.
How to Recreate Blair's Style
- Ditch the pants (and shorts)! Blair is almost always wearing dresses or skirts, so if you're planning on recreating Blair's style, stick to those pieces. I know that there was a photo above of her wearing shorts, but I can probably count the times that she wore shorts on the show on my fingers. If you're going for skirts or dresses, be sure not to pick anything too short, because Blair's style is rather tasteful and isn't teetering on the edge of skanky most of the time.
- Headbands all the way! If you're trying to recreate old-school Blair Waldorf, you're probably going to want to go for headbands. By old-school Blair Waldorf, I meant when she was in high school and she pretty much wore a different headband on her head every single day.
- Heels, heels, and more heels! Earlier in the show, Blair did occasionally wear a pair of ballet flats here and there, but it got less frequent as the show progressed. She's almost always wearing heels, usually about two to four inches, nothing too high.
- Think girly, classic, and elegant. If I had to pick three words to describe Blair's style, those would be it. Well, those words as well as perfect, but whatever. To me, her style is a little bit of each of those three, so when you're putting together your outfits in the morning (and you want to channel your inner Blair Waldorf), think, "What would Blair Waldorf do?"
- Keep your makeup simple, but still wear some. Though her style has changed a bit over the six or so years that the show has been on, her makeup stayed pretty consistent. Blair usually has perfect looking skin, extremely simple eyes (meaning just a bit of eyeshadow, she rarely wears eyeliner), and a bold lip, preferably berry.
Are you a fan of Blair's style? Which outfit was your favourite? Or do you have one that wasn't included in this post? Please leave me a comment and let me know down below! But first, I'm going to leave you with this quote...