Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Met Ball 2013: How Fashion Embraced Punk [and My Favourite Looks]



Large

Image Credit: www.weheartit.com

All last week, I've been eagerly anticipating Monday night when I would be able to look at all the beautiful clothes that Hollywood and fashion's big names were going to wear.  I was also really excited to see how the attendees were going to embrace this year's theme: punk.  It's definitely a lot more straightforward than last year's Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations theme, but on the flipside, it's quite.. out there.

This theme begs the question: What is punk?  According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, it's relating to or being a style (as of dress or hair) inspired by punk rock.  A lot of people have also mentioned that to them, punk is simply rebellion, freedom, and edge, and I completely agree.

It only hit me how big of a deal the MET Ball was today while I was watching the livestream.  André Leon Talley started the whole process of picking what he was going to wear in February. February.  Crazy, but absolutely amazing, of course.

Cara Delevingne wearing Burberry

My jaw literally dropped when I saw her dress.  The studs just made the dress so punk, yet so classy, which is quite a masterful combination when it works.  Absolutely stunning.

"PUNK: Chaos To Couture" Costume Institute Gala
Elle Fanning wearing Rodarte

If you read my Elle Fanning post last month, you probably know that I'm obsessed with her sense of style, so you could probably imagine how much I geeked out when she appeared on my computer screen.  The standout part of her ensemble for me was her intricate ear cuff.  I'm a huge fan of ear cuffs, so I was ecstatic when I saw that she was sporting one tonight.

"PUNK: Chaos To Couture" Costume Institute Gala
Hailee Steinfeld wearing Donna Karen Atelier

It's definitely not what I envision when I think of punk, but I absolutely loved the gold safety pins on this cream dress.  I'll probably do some kind of DIY of something similar soon, so be on the look out for that if you're interested.

US-FASHION-MET-COSTUME-GALA
Taylor Swift wearing J. Mendel

I love Taylor Swift's classic and feminine style, despite how safe she seems to play it when it comes to it.  I thought that she'd be one of the few that wouldn't embrace the punk theme, so I was pretty surprised to see what she wore last night.  I loved the cut-outs, but how everything was balanced out with the heaving beading up top.  It's such a unique dress and I'm so happy that she stepped out of her comfort zone for the Met Ball.

Here are a few other favourites of mine from the night...

Kate Bosworth wearing Balmain

"PUNK: Chaos To Couture" Costume Institute Gala
Anne Hathaway wearing a 1992 vintage Valentino

"PUNK: Chaos To Couture" Costume Institute Gala
Sarah Jessica Parker wearing Giles Deacon

Alexa Chung wearing Erdem

"PUNK: Chaos To Couture" Costume Institute Gala
Sienna Miller wearing Burberry

"PUNK: Chaos To Couture" Costume Institute Gala
Miley Cyrus wearing Marc Jacobs

US-FASHION-MET-COSTUME-GALA "PUNK: Chaos To Couture" Costume Institute Gala
Beyonce in Givenchy


Thanks for reading!  Let me know in the comments which ensemble was your favourite, I'm curious.
- J

All photos are from fashionista.com unless otherwise stated.

1 comment: