Friday, May 24, 2013

Sketchbook Friday: Lovin' the Leather and Everything Punk


Lately - even before the Met Ball - I've been pretty inspired by anything punk-inspired.  My family and friends probably think that I'm a total weirdo for loving everything punk, actually, I know that most of them do, but I love this style anyway.  I'm all for anything with cut-outs, leather, or studs which seems to be frowned upon by the greater part of the population.  But that's not going to stop me from sketching pretty clothes with those things.

As you could probably tell, today's Sketchbook Friday will be pretty punk, but with a girly and feminine vibe to it.  Just so you know, I kept the designs black and white so that you can envision them in whichever colour(s) you like.  

Keep on reading if you're interested!




This first ensemble was inspired by a pair of Balenciaga pants I saw flipping through my Style.com magazine.  The pants had these really interesting cut outs that I immediately fell in love with them, so I decided to sketch my take on these unique pants.

I decided to go for a grungier look for my version of the pants because I was feeling a bit more inspired after looking through the photos for the Met Ball.  Having the knees exposed adds such a quirky feel to the otherwise crisp and structured pants.  Because they are high-waisted, I went for a soft jersey crop top to balance out the intricate pants.



I love how effortless this whole ensemble is.  You might not agree that it looks effortless, but thinking about it, you would just have to throw on a sweater and a velvet maxi skirt and you're out the door.  Obviously, I don't think that many people (if any at all) could sport this look in their everyday lives, but I just love this outfit nonetheless.

I remember just browsing around online a while back and stumbling upon a photo of a celebrity who wore a sweater and velvet maxi skirt ensemble on the red carpet, and I fell in love with it immediately and am still obsessed with them to this day.


This ball gown was just a quick sketch when I was bored in class or at lunch, I can't seem to remember.  Since it's just a rough sketch, I'll make this little explanation quick.  If you look over it quickly, it might just look like your standard princess gown, but what I was going for with this dress was instead of having perfect, voluminous ruffles, I wanted rough and uneven ones.  It's like the dress equivalent of an asymmetrical bob, if you know what I mean.



This last ensemble is acting as a little sneak peek for you guys.  I fell in love with Hailee Steinfeld's dress that she wore to the Met Ball this year, so I decided that I was going to DIY it.  I'll definitely write a post showing you how to DIY it as soon as I get around to doing it.  It'll be up in June, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

Which ensemble was your favourite?  What are your thoughts on the punk "trend" - love it or hate it?  Please leave me a comment, I'd love to know.


Thank you so much for reading!
- J

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment