Monday, May 20, 2013

I Want Her Closet: Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung Style Icon


Lately, I've been pretty in love with Alexa Chung's amazing style.  It has a quirkiness to it - that I'm a huge fan of - and it's always so unique.  I'm just going to take a moment to talk about her hair.  Isn't it fabulous?  I personally would never rock this long ombré bob, but it looks so amazing on her - I love it.

Today, I'm going to show you three of my favourite red carpet looks from her, and on Wednesday, I'll be posting three outfits that I've recreated (for a lower price, of course!) from street style photos I've seen of her.

Alexa Chung Style Icon Chanel Jewelry

This ensemble is one of her less experimental ones, but I love it nonetheless.  She wore this Chanel frock to the 80th anniversary of Chanel's jewellery.  It's such a cute and just adorable dress.  I love how she let the dress take the stage and kept the accessories to a minimum with simplistic stud earrings and a simple heel that compliments the dress.

Alexa Chung Style Icon Vogue Fashion Fund Awards 2012

She wore this to the Vogue Fashion Fund Awards last year in November.  To me, this is either a love-it or hate-it outfit.  I just happen to love it (obviously).  I really love how she didn't let the gorgeous, ethereal dress stand alone, but layered it with this intricate blue top and red heels and took that big risk.  People like this really inspire me because of how many risks they take with their fashion and they inspire me to forget the haters (technically, they just tease, but whatever) and take those risks as well.

Alexa Chung Style Icon 2010 GQ Men of the Year Awards

Alexa wore this Valentino babydoll dress to the 2010 GQ Men of the Year Awards.  I just love the silhouette of the dress and how she added her unique touch to the dress by adding the holographic booties.  This is definitely one of my favourite red carpet looks from her.


"I don't really follow trends.  I don't know what they are.  I think people make them up and say, "Oh yeah, yellow's really in this season."  Sometimes, there are obvious trends, but there aren't any at the moment that I can think of.  Are there?  It's BS (she used the full word which I will not include for obvious reasons).  Trends are a lie magazines make up so you feel like you have to buy something." - Alexa Chung


I love that she feels this way because I feel like a whole lot of people feel like they have to follow trends to be cool or whatnot.  Yes, I do write posts about trends and stuff like that, but in reality, trends are simply a certain thing that a certain group of people think is cool at a certain time.  It's not like I'm saying that we should ignore trends, but we should let them influence our wardrobe, not take over our wardrobe (if you know what I mean).

A tip that I have for those of you trying to recreate her style, but adapt it to your own wardrobe is to try out some menswear pieces and let them inspire your outfit.  Even though this is slightly contradictory to what I just said, also look a lot at skirts and dresses because she wears quite a lot of those, but they all have a slight tomboy-ish feel to them.  Finally, don't be afraid to be quirky and bold, but keep it simple.

What do you think of Alexa's style?  Do you love it, hate it, or are you on the fence?  Let me know in the comments!


Thanks for reading!
- J

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I must be honest buy I'm not a huge fan of Alexa, but she got some amazing wicked pieces in her closet I would love to own!

    Love,
    TFD | The Fashion District

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her clothes really are amazing. I wish I had the money to spend on some of the pieces she owns...

      - Juliana

      Delete